Tags: adult, attorney, daughter, disabilities, disabled, family, guardianship, indiana, involves, law, lawyer, legal, multiple, old, representative, state

Guardianship for Disabled Adult in Indiana

On Lawyer & Legal » Family Law

1,818 words with 2 Comments; publish: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:17:00 GMT; (80062.50, « »)

My question involves guardianship in the State of: Indiana

My daughter has multiple disabilities. She is now 20 years old. I am

her representative payee for her SSI and am listed on her insurance

as secondary contact. But I have been told if she would end up in

the hospital or with a new doctor they could refuse to give me information

due to the new HIPPA (privacy law). I was told to get guardianship of her.

I do not have the resources for an attorney because I also have another

daughter under the age of 18 with disabilities and we are receiving SSI for

her as well. I was wanting to file guardianship without an attorney and went

to the court house. They gave me the Self-service link but I do not see

any forms for Adult guardianship. My daughter is not competent due to her

mental disabilities. Can you tell me where to obtain or download the documents? Is there any guide to direct me with each step I need to take

in gathering documentation to take with me to court. I really only want to

be able to answer for her medical care. She does not own anything as she lives with her father and I and we have always taken care of her.


All Comments

Leave a comment...

    • Thank you for your reply. Are there forms online that cost which I would be able to use in the Harrison County court here in Indiana? I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy the forms than hiring an attorney.

      Thank you.

      #1; Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:43:00 GMT
    • When you went to the courthouse, did you go to the probate court, or did you ask somebody in a different section of the court? They probably have standard form petitions for guardianship at the probate court. If not, they should be able to make you a copy of a file from a similar guardianship case and you can use it as a model. Unfortunately, I can't find any (free) forms online.
      #2; Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:49:00 GMT